Ground Transportation (Article)

If you have ever taken the public bus in rural Jamaica this article will bring back memories, evoke laughter and allow you to reflect on you journeys . Route 53 which it now called, provided many interesting stories but best of all those who gathered at the stops at Constant Spring made many friends. That to me was the best part of using ground transportation. Happy reading!

Inna Di Bus- Excerpt – Lyrics Written by Professor Nuts

Inna de bus dem a fight an fus , Inna de bus dem a kick up rumpus

Mi hear, one stop driver Lef me bag, Oi Missa D yu arm smell bad

Hey likkle bway deh inna de blue tam,Tek yu foot offa me corn before me get mad

Now de ducta deh come dung wid de money bag, An a shout fares please till im troat ole tiad, Ear a man bawl out only 10 cent mi have ‘Ear a man up a de frontYu know me jus’ get rob. De ducta sey wha? De minibus stop. De ducta hol de man, gi de man couple slap. Fling im outa de bus, lan im pon im neck back. Everybody fin’ bus fare quick afta dat.”

 Click here if you would would like to hear the audio for the above song before moving on to the article.

Lesson#3 – Part 1

Yesterday I celebrated my one year work anniversary.  I was ecstatic, I felt valued and to top it off I was blessed with a brand new car.  As I sat reflecting on my ground transportation journey throughout the years, several emotions flooded me. I was nervous, excited, sad, scared and emotional all at once.  I said to my husband “I am too nervous to drive.” As I inhaled the new car smell I thought “this smelled great” and reflected on how far I was coming from to where God has brought me as it relates to ground transportation.

Life is a journey; throughout that journey one will experience, pot holed, smooth and bumpy roads. Sometimes we have to cross bridges, climb hills or just cruise on the flats.   Throughout the years, getting ground transportation to assist me on my journeys has been quite a challenge. The struggle was real but I endured what I did because of that desire for success which initially started with getting a good education.

Walking approximately 12 miles per day was the norm throughout primary and high school. That was normal for most children.  At the age of 10 I passed my Common Entrance Examination and started attending the Oberlin High School. By then our ground transportation options increased a bit to facilitate getting to school for 7:30 am devotion.

The Morning Commute

The driving distance to school was approximately one and a quarter hour via public transport. However, we had to wake up as early as 4:00 am to get to school which was only about 6-7 miles away if we took a short cut. Walking for us was the last option as we did not want get to school sweaty in the mornings.

My siblings and I had a few options in regards to transportation. These were also the same means of transportation for many adults and children from several communities ranging from Zion Hill via Above Rocks to Parks Road, Cavaliers and Stony hill terminating at Manor Park usually by the Constant Spring Market.  The market transportation however went straight through Half Way Tree to downtown Kingston.

Too many persons relied on the same vehicles which meant that by the time the bus or truck may reach our stop the bus would already have standing passengers. Our options in the mornings were:

  • The 4:00 am market truck or the 4:30 am Benz bus (Sir Jiggs) which only took students going to Oberlin via an alternate bus route and was inconsistent

  • The 5:00 am market bus called the Two Brothers or Jacko’s Bus – the Encava

  • The 5:30 market truck called “Dada Truck”

  • The 6-6:30 am Jolly Bus which came late in the early 1990’s.

Anything that came after 6:30 am would mean that we would be late for school.  So usually at twenty five minutes past six in the mornings (6:25 am), or if we saw a group walking a bit earlier, my siblings and I would start our hike through Lacey Hill to get to Cavaliers via Burnt Shop road to Lawrence Tavern.

If we took Dada Truck we would try to hide the embarrassment as the truck let us off at the gas station in Stony Hill Square while onlookers ridiculed all passengers by shouting “hog and goat” because we were commuting via the market truck.  A male passenger would usually reply “like yuh mumma!” in response to the jibing coming from the many curious onlookers who would laugh at us during their taunting.

The market bus on the other hand was quite smelly, and did not give us the fresh air we needed, and which we got via Dada Truck.  As a matter of fact the passengers who were seated did not want to open the windows as the morning air was quite cold.   I was also often quite impatient during the long wait at Golden Hill where the basket vendors would take a long time to put their market load on the carrier atop the bus. One morning I got stung by a bee while the bus was en route to Stony Hill. I never even saw that coming. Who expects to be stung on a bus?

For approximately half an hour ride to Stony Hill, we endured the frowsy smell of passengers, some with “green arm” “morning breath” and the rancid smell of smoke – cigarette or marijuana combined with other body secretions; and if the smoker ever opened his mouth you would just gag and wish you could just disappear or wither like plants then die (the funk).

Quite often, the way the buses were packed meant that the passengers had to stay in one spot during the entire ride, having no choice but to endure your “front” rubbing on someone’s shoulder throughout, or sometimes some old “cruff” standing behind you with his special parts gyrating, as the bus swung from side to side around the many corners or bumped up and down throughout the many pot holes on route.  If you moved, the perverts would move with you. Many times I had to use my hips to block the object that was causing that uncomfortable feeling of a “snake” rubbing on my behind.

The Duster

My mother made breakfast for us every morning. At age ten I was quite clumsy and not wanting me to mess up my uniform, my mother insisted that I wear a duster over my clothes when eating or brushing my teeth.  One morning the bus came a little early and when I heard the bus horn blowing I realized the bus was quite near our bus stop. All I had the time to do was grab my bag and run.  In the process, I forgot that I was not only wearing my uniform. My siblings were running ahead of me and I did not want to be left alone on the dark road in the morning.

Upon approaching the bus all I could hear was laughter.  I wondered what was so funny until I boarded the bus. That was when I realized that I was still wearing my mother’s duster in of all places the bus!  Trying to hide my shame I quickly took it off and put it in my bag then held on to the bus pole to secure myself during the half an hour bus ride to Stony Hill and in particular to prevent me from bumping into another while I slept standing up in Jacko’s Encava Bus.

Getting Carried Away

As a high school student, whether I was sitting or standing, if I left home at 4:30 or 6:30 am, once I was on the bus I would sleep. This worked out quite fine for me on the way to school; however coming home was another matter as I got carried away to Half Way tree one evening after school at age 10. It so happened that I took “Karena the Encava” which was a “bashment bus” (attractive music-playing bus that attracts young people ) plying the Lawrence Tavern to Down Town route.

It was quite a frightening experience as I was a country girl who was not used to going to Half Way Tree by myself which at the time we called “town”.  As a matter of fact in those days anywhere below Manor Park (our bus terminus) was “Town”. Half Way Tree to me was the city. All streets looked alike, whether uptown or downtown, and had larger shops and malls than Manor Park.

When I woke up from my afternoon siesta on the bus, I recall seeing the big yellow ball mounted on a post which indicated that I was at The Mall plaza which was near my mother’s bank “Mutual Security” on Constant Spring Road.

I was overwhelmed with panic. Trying to hide my embarrassment I followed my schoolmates, Julian and Sandra, across the dirt field near the Odeon Theatre to Eastwood Park Road to get a bus that was heading in the opposite direction to Manor Park. Two friends from The Queens Girls School (Kerry and Roxanne) took the same bus, and Roxanne helped me with some of the extra fare I needed for the ride. This extra trip meant I had to forego my Sugar and Spice patty that I looked forward to in the evenings as the bus fare cost about 40 cents at the time.

My sibling “laughed me to scorn” when they found out the reason why I was coming from the opposite direction that day.  I learnt not to sleep on another bus heading to town. I however continued sleeping on the county route.

You may be wondering why we didn’t walk home daily. Well the frequency of our walks depended on the time of year, as we tried our best to avoid walking on the poorly lit, pot holed filled road in the dark.   We mostly walked in pairs or in groups.

The route we traversed was a lonely parochial road and throughout the journey we had to pay homage to several gangsters as we walked through their communities. There was a notorious one who used to walk with his rifle under his big jacket and the girls were afraid of him. He knew lots of short cuts and we never knew when or where he would appear.  We would pass him on the road and then later on spot him before us making long strides towards Lawrence Tavern.  I remember quite vividly the morning he died. At around 5:00 am in the morning the bus stopped by the Primary School where we were informed of his tragic end a few meters from the school.

As much as we loved school we also loved our lives. Fortunately, the gangsters did not trouble us, and throughout my high school years only one student I knew got assaulted on that road and the act was not conducted by the gangsters.

We had fun walking on Top road especially after school where we would stone the mango trees, but my most memorable event was that September in the 7th Grade when I got a ride in the shovel of a Tractor. It was thrilling. The driver gave the group a ride to Burnt Shop and oh, what a ride it was!

Bus Drama

One day Jacko’s bus overturned on Old Stony Hill Road. Many persons whom I knew got hurt that day. However, most of my schoolmates were spared as they exited the bus at the Intersection of St. Christopher Road and Old Stony Hill Road.

My sister Simone and I were quite fortunate to escape injury on two other occasions. In 1991 the large blue and white Jolly Bus that most students would commute on was involved in an accident at the Gas Station in Stony Hill Square.

It so happened that the bus stopped at Red Gal Ring (steep corner en route from stony hill to manor park which was popular for cart racing events) where the driver filled the huge radiator at the front of the bus with water before continuing the journey.

My sister went to the front of the bus while I went to the back of the bus, which was usually more entertaining. I ‘hung’ with Norval and Lenroy two of the guys from the Kingston College crew where the usual chatter and laughter emitted from the “schoolers” at the bus back.

The bus quickly stopped at Stony Hill Square and the next thing I knew I saw the driver running away from the bus; which made me a bit concerned. I then saw what I thought was either powder, flour or smoke. Whatever I saw was white and afterwards sounds of screams filled the bus; therefore the only logical thing to think at the time was that the bus was on fire.

I was in Grade 9 at the time and was a high jumper for the school’s track team. I also used to watch a lot of movies and usually imagined that once a vehicle is on fire or becomes engulfed with smoke that it would explode. After all, that is what was frequently shown on television. So I did the most logical thing. I tried to get out of the bus. There was pushing and shoving and too many persons were trying to get through the small door.

I was intent on not getting caught in an explosion, so, I exited through the smallest window which was at the back of the bus. Yes, I jumped through the bus window.  I actually felt quite proud of myself at the of time; however I saw this huge smirk on the face a lanky light skinned young man named Kirk who at the time indicated that he had got quite an eye full from my actions. It was after I got outside that I realized that I did not have on my school shoes which I later retrieved from the bus.

When I went around to the front of the bus that was when I saw the impact of the overheated radiator. I was horrified. Persons who were at the front of the bus got burnt or scorched and the extent of burns ranged from mild to severe. Some students got burnt so badly that there was no black left on their body part. I remember seeing this student with what looked like rolled down dark brown stockings on her feet. Upon closer look I realized that it was her skin on both feet that were rolled down. She screamed in agony. I could also see burns on her hands. She also got burns on her breasts and chest. The teen attended a school for the deaf. She was a beautiful young lady and if she could have spoken she would have, as it was heart wrenching to see her in so much pain.

Several students got injured including my schoolmate who was a renowned comedian. Another student who used to sit quite frequently in the bus front near the drivers got soaked from the waist down with the hot water.  The only way to remove the tights she wore was to cut them off her body.

When I finally found my sister the back of her shirt was a bit damp and she complained of getting burnt in the back. As near as the Police Station was to where the bus had stopped I do not recall seeing one police man in the Stony Hill Square. I also remembered running across the road to a nearby phone booth and dialed 110 to get ambulance service however I had no luck.

Help was received from the driver of an open back van who transported several injured to the hospital. My sister went with them. The rest of us “the bus back crew” and other students proceeded to walk the nine miles home. Shortly after passing Guava Gap we got a ride in a “Dumper Truck”.

I ran eagerly to tell my mother of the accident. Mommy was nowhere to be found. Apparently some passengers stopped by our house on the way home and told my mother that my sister and I got burnt up in a bus at Stony Hill and that we were transported to the hospital. I had to stay with my grandparents until she and my aunt and uncle who took her got home.

When mommy returned, she was so relieved to see us. She visited two hospitals where she saw other victims and described how they appeared while silently praying that we were safe.  My sister was not admitted and returned home before my relatives, and we both relayed our version of the event to them.

The bus owner  came to our home some time later.  I wasn’t privy to the conversation then as children were not allowed to engage in adult conversation (wi woulda fresh fi do that),  however I do remember mommy’s facial expression on the day of that accident when she saw that we were okay.



A few years later, a yellow Jolly Bus that was registered to operate on the Papine bus route would frequently carry passengers from our route.  One evening while heading home in this bus which was not as crowded as the blue Jolly Bus that had radiator issues, the bus developed mechanical problems. This time, fire was seen coming from the front of the bus. I’m sure by now you must have guessed my escape route. Of course, I jumped through the bus window again!

Country Route

Students commuting on the Constant Spring to Above Rocks route would either get the bus at the top bus stop at Manor Park Plaza where a now very famous DJ used to have a stall. Sometimes we would also wait on the road to the left of the Constant Spring Market.

In the evenings it was harder to get transportation as the bus conductors were adamant that they did not want any “schoolers” and if you were fortunate to catch the 6:00 pm market bus you had to endure an extremely slow ride to Stony Hill where the driver would stop and get his drink of White Rum before continuing the journey.

By 7:00 pm commuters had to stand before the Constant Spring Market where we had to contend with some huge drummer roaches and the mad men to see if you could get a ‘kotch’ on the market wall if your feet were tired.

The later it got the harder it was to get a vehicle. We were often rescued by van drivers like “Circle Lion” and “McGyver”. McGyver got his nickname from the popular television series that showed on JBC Television at the time.  McGyver was a jack of all trades who could fix anything and get himself out of some precarious situations. Likewise, our McGyver had a van that always broke down. No matter what problem the vehicle had he would find a way to fix it using some unconventional methods thus earning the name McGyver.

If we missed McGyver then we would catch whatever rides we could from the few drivers in the area who were returning from work. Those included dumper truck drivers, Maas George, Dennis and Papa Truck.

The years in High School (1988 to 1994) were quite unforgettable. As hectic as they were, it was also quite fun. I met a lot of friends through the use of “ground transportation” and my memories are priceless.  During that period two songs about buses which perfectly described commuter’s ordeals became hits. Those songs were Blinkin Bus by Lovindeer and Professor Nuts Inna Di Bus.

 Lesson#3 – Part 2


(Click Heading Above  for Related Music)

Constant Spring was a popular terminus. To the point that Mr. Lovindeer in his song mentioned the Constant Sprint Route in his song “Blinkin Bus”. I had seen him quite a few times on public transport and liked the fact that the popular “Wild Gilbert” recording artiste share our distaste for the public transportation experience.

Crosses deh again, can’t smile again, business spoil again cause we late fi work again.

Car man drive pass we again, pop style pon wi again, cause wi deh yah from way back when, waiting for the bus again.

So here we are we no have no car, cant pop nuh style, wi business spoil. This kind of fuss mek Christian cuss, when you have to ride, on the blinkin bus. Wi cuss and fuss wi have to ride the blinkin bus.

Two hours late, we finally get a bus.  We pack up like sardine, everybody in deh a cus.  “Move down the bus, mine yuh mash mi corn, likkle pickney hold on tight, If yuh soil mi shut wid yuh market basket, mi an yuh gwine fight!” Mi nah tek nuh robot van, cause if it crash no compensation, So when di Jolly dolly down and bide, mi a go fight fi get inside.

Weh yuh a push mi fah, lef mi pocket nuh boy, Lawd what a piece a heat, How come the big fat thing from Constant Spring a tek up so much seat?

 Written By-  Lloyd Lovindeer  (Beautiful Song Bring Lots of Memories)


After many public demonstrations regarding our bad roads, lack of public transportation and late nights on the roads, ground transportation improved a bit.  Between 1995 and 2007 Robot taxies increased and 15-seater vans became our main mode of transport.  Rides became a bit comfier as there were no standing passengers. We could get to the terminus within thirty minutes. However, if you took taxis like Danny’s, you could reach the terminus within twenty minutes after saying many prayers to Jah for guidance on the journey.

These vehicles were quite profitable for their owners especially when the road at Golden Hill split in two.  The transporters would park on both sides of the road awaiting passengers to cross on either side of the broken road to take them to their destination.  I used to get home between ten and eleven pm many evenings after work or school. Sometimes women including myself would sit in the laps of male friends in an effort to secure a ride home. Once home I would get a nap then get up to study between one and three am, then sleep for another hour and a half before the work cycle starts again.

School for me was a necessity as it was the way to having a better lifestyle.  Learning was also fun and it provided an opportunity for me to network.  I had to do what was necessary, and getting minimal sleep as well as getting home late was just a few of the sacrifices many persons from the community made.

The main problems I had during this era was the pushing and shoving to get into a vehicle as well as the fact that many buses were filled by the time they got to the terminus as passengers would walk up to Old Stony Hill road or stand by the big tree near Stillwell road to get the bus.  While attending university I would deliberately stay at school late so I could effectively use my time instead of wasting three hours commuting. Between standing at the bus stop and waiting in traffic a lot of time was wasted.

Just My Size

When I had my first child I decided to purchase my first vehicle which was a little pre-owned car which suited me perfectly in size and colour. It was just my size.  I loved the vehicle, although I had to spend a lot of money and got a lot of headaches with it.

Firstly the car had a problem with the gas pump that was in the tank and shortly after purchasing it I started having issues especially when I was going on long journeys. I had to frequently pull over, stop the car, start again, then proceed. Apparently there was rust in the tank and after trying several times to solve the problem it wasn’t until my mechanic bought a pump that was made from another brand car which he converted, that the problem was solved.

The roads on which I traversed were filled with potholes and there were times when I did not get to service the vehicle as often as I should.  However, whether I serviced it or not, you can count on it to require parts such as engine mounts quite frequently.

One Sunday when I was in Graduate School, classes got dismissed early so I decided to drive to Lawrence Tavern to get my control arm replaced. Can you believe that by the time I got to the mechanic my axle broke. I counted myself lucky, and called my now husband (who was just a friend at the time) and explained my plight. Fortunately, I had the cellular number for a car parts dealer who came to our assistance that Sunday night.

Maternal Escape

A few days before I had my daughter, I had to drive from Manor Park to Above Rocks to deliver a sick leave certificate at my place of employment. About a mile from Stony Hill while I was driving up a hill called “Woman Hole” which at the time was filled with potholes, the clamp which held the car battery broke after the car fell into a pothole.  This resulted in sparks which ignited within the front of the vehicle.

When I got to Golden Hill (Pinto) I saw a man who was fervently fanning down the vehicle and pointing at the car.  While he was doing that I noticed what I thought was steam coming from the car.  I thought to myself “oh man, don’t tell me that my radiator is busted again!”. The car then shut off. I restarted the car in an attempt to move the car from its position in the road. That was when I heard the man shout “fire!”

Oh my gosh…I was nine months pregnant, I couldn’t jump from a vehicle but this time I was in control as I was the driver. I flew the car bonnet, then sprung out of the car with my 220 pounds self, leaving behind my suitcase which was on the back seat as well as my handbag.

When I peeked into the bonnet which was opened by the onlooker, there was fire burning on several places in the front of the car. My dad had used some rubber to wrap and secure some hoses.  The rubber was burning and falling on the ground. The fiberglass sheet which covered the bonnet was also on fire. I looked on in despair before remembering my valuables. I quickly grabbed my suitcase and bag and stood by the side of the road in total disbelief.  What was I to do? I called my husband, he was quite far from me so I did the next best thing, I called my mother.

“Mommy, my car is on fire at Pinto!” I cried. I was worried for several reasons, including the fact that I had just used the cash I had at my doctors visit and at the gas station, and to do without a vehicle in such an advanced state of pregnancy was not an easy matter to cope with.

Two good Samaritans stopped to help; a gentleman who lived at the house of two high school colleagues and another -a stranger who apparently knew my father.  They tore out the stuffing, outed the fire, assessed the car and fixed whatever issues appeared on the surface.

My mother drove like a race car driver to get to my location within approximately 20 minutes.  I was relieved to see her.  After being told that the fire just scorched the gas pump and that it was okay to drive, I asked mommy to accompany me to her house where I would rest until my husband came as I was scared to drive the vehicle home.

We headed downhill towards the plain. At approximately one mile before reaching my parents home I had the strong scent of gas smelling in my car. I stopped the vehicle and asked mommy if she smelled gas. A man nearby said that there was a mechanic that might be using so he went to check. When he returned he said no, so we proceeded on our journey. I again smelled the gas and stopped the vehicle. When I came out and looked on the road, there was a nice little line of gas trailing the back of my car leading to underneath where the gas tank was.

Can you guess what I did upon seeing this? Well, I left the car right there on the road. I loaded my stuff into Mom’s van and told her to get Daddy to tow the car. When I got to their house just one look at my face and Daddy told me to go lie down and get some sleep as I was too stressed out.

He and Mommy went for the vehicle and upon their return Daddy said, “Whatever side you slept on this morning you better sleep there again”. He further commented that the hose on the gas pump in the front of the car had a hole and while the engine was on the gas pumped and sprayed and if I had crossed the two river bridge and started to ascend the hill the outcome would have been cataclysmic.  I gave God thanks and waited for my husband to come so we could exchange vehicles as I was adamant I was not going to drive my “Betsy”[1] again.

The speed in which I exited the vehicle caused me to hurt my right thigh thus making my pregnancy more difficult as I was just recovering from Chikungunya (Chick-V) as well as I was having severe pelvic pain from stretched ligaments. At thirty six weeks pregnant I had all the drama I needed. Two days later I was admitted in the hospital to give birth to my little bundle of joy.

My drama with Betsy did not end there.  After returning to work she behaved for a while, until one day I realized the transmission was not changing out as it should.  It so happened that one Saturday I was trying to exit the parking lot of the school where I was doing Interior Design and found out that the car could only move in reverse.  Oh man, I reversed and put that car in neutral  until the drive gear finally chipped in. The next working day I drove the vehicle straight to the mechanic. The car made it to the parking lot and at that point the transmission died. The transmission could not select any gears.

Three months later on my last day on the job after descending a steep hill, the right front end of the car broke.  It was half way across two lanes while crossing the Washington Boulevard main road that the car just stopped and wouldn’t move.  I had no idea what to do.  Some men tried to lift the vehicle out of the road but the car would not move.

I stood in the sun with my son waiting for any assistance that I could receive when a passerby shouted out “roadside assistance”. That was when it clicked that I should call the insurance company for support. ICWI sent its REACT team to my assistance. They were courteous, prompt and they tried to fix the vehicle before carting it off on a wrecker to the mechanic of my choice.

Eight months later, on the same avenue (Waterhouse Drive) at the opposite end of the street the right control arm jumped out again I didn’t even get a warning sound. The car just simply stopped.  When the wrecker driver saw me he laughed and said “You again! I thought you would have changed cars by now.”  We had a good laugh before proceeding on our way.

The last tow I got was one evening in the summer while ascending the hill towards Red Hills the car lost power and shut off. I had the baby in the back seat and it was dark. The car behind me stopped also and a man jumped out barefooted. He freaked me out, however he tried to assure me that he knew a thing or two about vehicle to trouble shoot until additional help came.  That night my husband’s van became the wrecker. It was his third time towing the vehicle. All three times the car broke down in the night. Junior tied rope to the car while two evangelists from the USA – his uncle’s friends assisted. One steered the car while the other held the rope that was tied to the back of the van and gave directions.

In the last year of having Betsy, while I was grateful that I had my independence, I got frustrated as I had lost a lot of productive time and spent a lot of money on car parts. Overtime it became difficult to even source parts. I frequently would reflect on something that was said by Dr. Wedderburn in my MBA class:  “certain assets have a specific  term of useful life. After 5 years not only does a vehicle depreciate but it will cost a lot over time to continually repair it whenever it breaks down”. Fixing the car became senseless. I therefore decided to sell. I waited a little to get something suitable; however it was worth the wait as it gave me peace of mind, knowing I would be safer  on the road and that I would have a more reliable mode of ground transportation.

Our Journey

For everything there is a season under the heavens.  Throughout life’s journey we will face many obstacles, traverse many roads, use different vehicles as well as meet different “drivers”. Regardless of whatever route you use, or the mode of transport, the important thing is to know your destination. Challenges will come, however it is in “accepting and overcoming our challenges that we can feel the exhilaration of victory” (George S. Patton Jr.).

It is the myriad of experiences that makes life wonderful. So hold on, enjoy the ride. Through it all give thanks, as it is in reflecting on where we are coming from that we can appreciate how far we have grown, assess the steps we have taken to achieve the various stages of success in our lives as well as chart the course for our future with God as our protector and guide.

 Related Inspirational Readings

 Psalm 119:105

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.

Psalm 37:23-29

23The steps of a man are established by the Lord,when he delights in his way;
24 t hough he fall, he shall not be cast headlong or the Lord upholds his hand.

25 I have been young, and now am old yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken or his  \     children begging for bread.
26 He is ever lending generously, and his children become a blessing.

27 Turn away from evil and do good;  so shall you dwell forever.
28 For the Lord loves justice; he will not forsake his saints.
They are preserved forever, but the children of the wicked shall be cut off.
29 The righteous shall inherit the land and dwell upon it forever.

Psalm 121:1-8

I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come?
My help comes from the Lord who made heaven and earth.

He will not let your foot be moved; he who keeps you will not   slumber.
Behold, he who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.

The Lord is your keeper; the Lord is your shade on your right    hand.
The sun shall not strike you by day,  nor the moon by night.

The Lord will keep you from all evil; he will keep your life.
The Lord will keep your going out and your coming in from this time forth and forevermore.

Jeremiah 29:11

11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare[a] and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Ecclesiastes 3:1-15

1There is a right time for everything, and everything on earth will  happen at the right time.

There is a time to be born and a time to die. There is a time to plant and a time to pull up plants.
There is a time to kill and a time to heal. There is a time to destroy and a time to build.
There is a time to cry and a time to laugh. There is a time to be saddened a time to dance with joy.
There is a time to throw weapons down and a time to pick them up.
There is a time to hug someone and a time to stop holding so tightly.
There is a time to look for something and a time to consider it lost.There is a time to keep things and a time to throw things away.
There is a time to tear cloth and a time to sew it. There is a time to be silent and a time to speak.
There is a time to love and a time to hate. There is a time for war and a time for peace.

God Controls His World

Do people really gain anything from their hard work? 10 I saw all the hard work God gave us to do. 11 God gave us the ability to think about his world, but we can never completely understand everything he does. And yet, he does everything at just the right time.

12 I learned that the best thing for people to do is to be happy and enjoy themselves as long as they live. 13 God wants everyone to eat, drink, and enjoy their work. These are gifts from God.

14 I learned that anything God does will continue forever. People cannot add anything to the work of God, and they cannot take anything away from it. God did this so that people would respect him. 15 What happened in the past has happened, and what will happen in the future will happen.

(Bible -Easy To Read Version)

Galatians 6:9

 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

(Bible English Standard Version)


[1]Name given to an old faithful vehicle